how sweet it is....

 I did absolutely nothing, today and it was everything that I thought it could be.

Well it's been a week since I finished up my last day at work. There was the lovely goodbye lunch and a thoughtful gift and BEST BIT OF ALL - my final pay cheque which included all my unused leave paid out and placed into my bank account..... a nice little buffer until I find another job.

The sweetest part of finishing work is having so much time on my hands, not rushing around trying to do all the stuff I need to do before it's time to go back to work again. I have been spending hours just tootling around the house or on my computer or reading a book. I've gone for walks in the lovely Autumn sunshine, I've taken the pushbike out for a spin several times (although there is still a bit of getting off and pushing it up those pesky hills). I've also had coffee with a few friends and with my lovely husband. 

But all in all, I have done virtually nothing for a week and I am loving it! I didn't realize how much I needed to just relax and let life flow around me without the constant need to enjoy it before it was over and I was back to the 9-5 treadmill. I know that this is for a limited time, but it's rather nice not knowing what the future holds and just going with the flow. 

I've never been the type of person who just lives in the moment - I'm usually too busy planning for the next step to try to avoid any unforeseen disaster - I'm a worst case scenario kinda gal. But this is so pleasant! I am just living day to day and not stressing about what is next on the list. I know that eventually I will have to do something constructive - whether it's finding another job or doing some volunteer work or whatever (even joining those craft groups or ladies' clubs......) but for now I am happy just.doing.nothing. 

Sleeping in until 8am is becoming a favourite pastime, and I'm swapping between reading a not-too-awful fantasy series of books and the latest book from good old Nora Roberts (I think I've read just about every book that woman has written - included her JD Robb series). I'm trying not to stuff my face with too many nibblies (the pantry is way too close at times!) and I'm enjoying Dr Phil and all his advice to the people who subject themselves to his show. I know this will end soon, but I am really getting a taste for doing nothing - I just have to hope the holiday pay holds out for a bit longer! But for now I think it's time for a cuppa in the sunshine with the cat.

midlife blog cresting the hill
a cuppa and a cat - midlife at it's sweetest!


(This post is part of the #1word challenge with thanks to the ladies from The Golden Spoons, Blogitudes & Confessions of a Mommyholic - the word this week was "sweet")

14 comments

  1. Oh, the joy of being able to bend down and smell the daisies. I remember the feeling when I first retired. Everything around me came into focus. I heard the birds twittering, felt the breeze on my face, relaxed in the peace and quiet. I think we all need to pause from our hectic lives every now and again. As you say--live the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so true Francene - I think you forget how lovely the world is when you get caught up in the hustle and bustle of working - it's nice to slow down for a while!

      Delete
  2. Sounds perfect to me and glad you are enjoying this time right now while you can ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janine - it is rather indulgent but I'm making the most of it!

      Delete
  3. Haha! You sound like a true "lady of leisure"! So glad you are enjoying this time. I love Nora Roberts and especially the J.D. Robb series I've read every single one of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the JD Robb ones way too much Rena - I think Nora Roberts is a machine - she pumps out an amazing amount of very enjoyable stuff!

      Delete
  4. Hi Leanne! Enjoy your time. It is far too easy for most of us to get sucked into activity and busyness so taking the time to relax and appreciate your husband, your cat and your cuppa sounds like a perfect thing to do. I hope it lasts for as long as possible-- and who knows, the next job allows you the freedom to continue some of it as well. ~Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy - I am loving the down time - I don't want it to last forever, but I want to enjoy it and not worry about the future - living in the moment is my new mantra!

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad you're enjoying your free time! The routine of working for a living is no fun at all. Glad you're not stressing about what comes next - just kicking back and enjoying what is. That's a great attitude to have! Hope you keep savoring your days of relaxation and enjoying Nora's most recent book. I'm a big fan, too. :) Thank you for linking up with One Word today. I much enjoyed your happy post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcia - glad to meet another Nora fan! I am making a concerted effort not to worry about the future - I'm giving myself permission just to "be" for a while :)

      Delete
  6. Sounds to me like you're keeping yourself very busy. Rest and fun is good for the soul. Enjoy.

    Anita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anita - I'm a bit of a "do-er" so it's been interesting finding a balance but it is such a nice change to not be going to work all the time.

      Delete
  7. Sounds wonderful! My kids have 14 more days of school and, then, I'm looking forward to doing a whole lot of nothing, too! :-) At least for a week or so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa - school holidays are great for kicking back and not having to stick to a routine - I'm sure you'll enjoy them as much as I'm enjoying my break!

      Delete

Thanks so much for your comment - it's where the connection begins.