MIDLIFE MADNESS - I QUIT MY JOB!

I did it! I quit my job!


GLORIOUS UNEMPLOYMENT

Oh my goodness! As of this week I am officially no longer employed.....I'm working half time for a couple of weeks as part of giving in my notice and then by the end of May I will be jobless. Scary but liberating all at the same time!

I've thought about this on and off for the last couple of years and justified staying in my job for a multitude of reasons, but none of them have rung true for the last year or so. It came to a head when I had such a lovely break over Easter and the thought of going back was even more awful than usual. There just comes a point in your life when you say "No More!" and I'd obviously reached it! I've spent too long counting down the days til the next weekend was due and then trying not to think about when I was due back at work again before I could start my next countdown.

HOLDING ON VS LETTING GO

You can hold on to something too tightly because you are scared of what happens if you let go, and my job was my "something". It wasn't awful and it wasn't soul destroying....but it was becoming mundane and boring and 'same old, same old'. Time to move on and take a risk, time to jump ship and see what happens in the future. Time to let someone else be the responsible one for a change - or maybe we'll share the responsibility. I feel like a free spirit - I hardly recognize myself.

FILLING MY TIME

The other question I had was how I would fill my time once I was a lady of leisure, but I seem to be getting invites to things left, right and centre. I've been invited to a craft group (Oh No! says the AntiCraft in me) but apparently I can come, drink coffee, chat and stay for lunch and I don't even have to pretend to do a craft - sounds good to me! Then there's the ladies bible study and there is a mentoring program at the local primary school who would love to have me come and spend some time with a student making them feel special. Add to that all the coffee and chats that I'm looking forward to, the books I can read and the jigsaws waiting to be done, and I should be able to keep myself out of trouble at least for a little while.

My neighbour, who took early retirement, is busy giving me advice on how to transition into this new stage of life - apparently he is an authority on the subject and I didn't have the heart to tell him that it would probably be quite different for me (especially as he had a million dollars in his bank account by the time he left compared to my meager bank balance) - at least he was kind enough to care. It's a very strange concept - having all day with nothing to do but enjoy it. Sitting and reading or watching TV instead of sitting and watching the clock, no more having my lunch break at the same time every day or fighting the traffic and all those traffic lights on the way home. No, instead I'll be strolling in the sunshine and thinking happy thoughts.

WHAT THE FUTURE HOLDS?

I'm hoping a nice little part-time job will pop up before too many months pass by, but regardless I have no regrets and I am looking forward to relaxing, being happy and ticking off a few things on the bucket list I didn't realize was sitting in the back of my mind.



To keep up to date with my posts, feel free to add your email into the spot especially for it on my sidebar and I'd love you to share this post by clicking on a share button before you go xx
This post was shared at some of these great link parties


24 comments

  1. You can hold on to something too tightly because you are scared of what happens if you let go, and my job was my "something". It wasn't awful and it wasn't soul destroying....but it was becoming mundane and boring and 'same old, same old'. Time to move on and take a risk, time to jump ship and see what happens in the future. Time to let someone else be the responsible one for a change - or maybe we'll share the responsibility. I feel like a free spirit - I hardly recognize myself I QUIT MY JOB YESTERDAY MORNING AFTER 17 YEARS AT ONE PLACE! I am not retiring...I still need to work, but your words in this paragraph really spoke to me! I will be writing more about it later...but this coincidence was too much to ignore. Let's keep up with each other's journeys to see where this new adventure leads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow Pam! good on you - you must be twice as scared/excited as me - 17 years is a long time! I'm a bit worried about finding another job but sometimes you just have to jump and hope there's something down the road - and yes I'll be following your journey all the way!!

      Delete
  2. I did the same thing in February -- quit a part-time job I'd had for 9+ years. It took a lot of soul-searching, discussions with my husband, and trembling hands as I typed my resignation, but it was well worth it. In my case, I was very unhappy, and I have no regrets whatsoever having made that decision. I hope your 'new life' is wonderfully fulfilling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aviva - I feel like I'm joining a club of ladies who are getting their lives back! I was so sick of my job and not happy and just pushing through all the time - it's good to know that it's survivable and fulfilling once the decision to leave is made - thanks for the encouragement.

      Delete
  3. You did it! I am so excited for you. It can be so scary taking that leap of faith but I am so happy that you were finally able to do it for yourself. Can't wait to see where the yellow brick road takes you because you definitely aren't in Kansas anymore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rena - it's very nice to be out of "Kansas" - they are busy replacing me already - my seat will barely be empty but I'm happy to be leaving it all behind (a bit scared too!)

      Delete
  4. Congratulations! It sounds like you made the exact right choice! Your future looks bright:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so Jennifer - I'm a bit young to retire so I really hope something else presents itself eventually - but I'll be enjoying myself in the meantime.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on making the leap, Leanne! Here's to coffee mornings with friends and sunshine and leisure. You'll definitely fill your days. Soon you'll be wondering just how you had time for work! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Diane - I am definitely looking forward to all the sunshine and coffee - it's gorgeous outside today and it seems a shame to waste it at work.

      Delete
  6. It's so exciting to be on a new path! Congrats and much happiness in your new life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! Looking forward to more of your writing, now that you will have some additional free time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might break the internet with all my musings and spare time Susan :)

      Delete
  8. Good for you! I have had the same thoughts in the back of my mind all year and now I have been out of work, recovering from a medical thing and the thought of going back is making me physically sick. I need to make a decision pretty quick and to find a part time something.
    Good Luck and I hope just the right thing finds you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Doreen - my thinking was that I can be miserable earning my way to retirement or take some time to nurture myself and hopefully find something a bit more rewarding down the track - I think if I'd been sick I'd have done it even sooner - good luck with your decision!

      Delete
  9. I'm in the club too and I want to be. I quit my job 2 years ago and started blogging a year ago. I love it. Of course, at times it's scary, but most of the time I'm more my true self than ever. Congratulations!

    Anita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! another member - it's so good to know that there is happiness out there and I won't be making a career from blogging but it certainly provides some moral support. Thanks for the encouragement Anita!

      Delete
  10. Congrats on your decision to leave. I, too, retired at age 55, after 32 years working for public parks and recreation. I loved my job until about 4 years ago. I teach part-time at a university to recreation majors and continue to do so--something I love with a passion. I did get a great pension, so now I blog a lot!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Terri - unfortunately not great pension for me, but I am enjoying the idea of not being in a job that was sucking my happiness.

      Delete
  11. Congratulations! So exciting and I'm so happy for you. Some days I wish I could quit my job, but since I work with my husband in our own company, I guess I'll have to wait for now. I'll just live vicariously through you :)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lana - at least you like your boss :) I'm hoping for something else to come along once I've had a break - fingers crossed!

      Delete
  12. Dear Leanne,
    I see I missed out on something big here:) Congratulations, wow, that's a big one! I can read FREEDOM spelled in big letters through your post. Way to go! I'm sure the Universe has already got great plans for you, even if they involve just relaxing and taking the time to just be. I'm happy to be back. I missed you guys so much!!!! Yet I'm afraid I didn't spent it being romantic in Paris, but rather leaving for a week with my mom and then returning to a house under MAJOR renovation, with dust everywhere and no internet connection. But now it's finished, so it's back to blogging business as usual. Happy to hear you're alright Leanne:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Abby - really glad you're back - I was worried you'd disappeared forever! Looking forward to some updates on your renovation and I'll keep you up to date on my rest and what the future holds!

      Delete

Thanks so much for your comment - it's where the connection begins.